Patients scheduled for allergy testing must stop taking any medications that contain antihistamines for the length of time indicated below.
These medications should be stopped 7 days before testing:
These medications should be stopped 3 days before testing:
All over-the-counter cold, sleep and allergy medications, prescribed allergy medications, and certain acid-reflux medications should be stopped 3 days before testing. This includes:
Do Not Stop:
- Do not stop any inhaled asthma medications or routine medications that treat blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc.
- Please bring with you a complete list of all medications, as well as your pharmacy phone number and street address. We routinely send prescriptions electronically and will need your pharmacy information to ensure accuracy.
- Please keep in mind your initial visit will take 2-3 hours. During the testing procedure, we will be using a marking pen on your back and arms. This may cause your shirt to become stained. We suggest you bring a short sleeved t-shirt to wear after your procedure.
- A parent/legal guardian must accompany any patients under the age of 18 at the time of an initial visit.
- If you have any questions about what medications to stop please feel free to call our office at 314.849.8700.